Thursday 4 August 2011

Mardale Ill Bell & Harter Fell

With: On my own


Weather: all kinds - humid (but less than lately); occasional showers / drizzle; low vis; light winds


We've just enjoyed a great month at the Centre: busy, challenging but very rewarding. Kay is still away at New Wine but I am pleased with the opportunity to take a couple of days off. The plan was to head for the fells early this morning, however, the weather which had been consistently forecast had other ideas - it poured down at Blaithwaite right through to lunch time. The metoffice indicated better things for the afternoon so I hung on & decided to go for the North Eastern fells.


Driving through Bampton its clear that this is a pleasant corner of Cumbria, the road alongside Haweswater has an increasing feeling of remoteness as the "road head" (Mardale Head Car Park) is approached, I think the area has a Scottish feel to it.


Rarely for me, I set off with no clear agenda on the trail up towards Small Water - a gem of a Lakeland Tarn, the views from above Small Water, back towards Haweswater were impressive even on a drab day like today.
Small Water & Haweswater
The Nan Bield Pass (what a great name) led me up to a "crossroads" where a decision was needed - I went for a detour to Mardale Ill Bell followed by completing the round i.e. returning to the shelter at the head of the pass & ascending on to Harter Fell; picking off its summit; before descending along the line of the fence & picking up Gatesgarth Pass to return to the car at Mardale Head. I only saw two fell runners all afternoon - a good dose of solitude!

The photos below are:

- Mardale Ill Bell summit
- Blea Water (another impressive Tarn)
- Harter Fell summit













No ill effect on the knees after the cortisone injections & the new kit configuration (see previous post) worked well.


I'm hoping to get out again on Saturday - please stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment