Sunday 15 January 2012

Speed Machine


Its been a busy start to 2012 at Blaithwaite, the In2venture weekend was followed on Wednesday by the arrival of a church from Lancaster who hold their annual mid-year conference at the Centre. It was great to be able to welcome back many familiar faces & see the conference so well attended.

This week sees the start of a planned 2 week shut down to undertake some major works at Blaithwaite - more of this to follow!

The busy Centre has prevented me from exploiting the welcome settled dry & sunny weather we have enjoyed for the last few days so this morning I tried out, for the first time, this year's Christmas present from Kay. I am no bike expert & in fact I don't always get on that well with them! However, I guess that in the road bike world this one is now a bit of a vintage classic - a Raleigh with Reynolds 501 frame - 20 years old, or more?? (if anyone knows I'm sure you'll tell me). We got the bike from "Rebike" in Carlisle, its a social enterprise which recycles old bikes providing training & employment opportunities for folk who have been out of work for some time.
This mornings trip was through the lanes & hamlets around Blaithwaite, its good cycling territory with undulating terrain which is relatively free from traffic. Getting used to the "thumb wide" tyres; toe clips and twitchy cornering  was interesting, however, on the flat or slightly downhill sections I cannot ever recall traveling faster under my own propulsion! Some adjustment on the gears & brakes will be necessary before a next outing but a very positive start.
View South into the Northern Fells Across Farmland From Aikbank

No comments:

Post a Comment